I don’t live in California, so I don’t know, but it can’t be that bad. Can it? At least Reagan told you what his lame-ass ideas were before you elected him.
I went to Arnie’s web site to see if there was something beyond the 30-second sound bites to which I’d (admittedly) only half paid attention. What I found was a PDF presentation entitled “Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 10 Step – 100 Day Agenda to Turn California Around”. Here they are:
- Repeal Gray Davis’ Tripling of the Car Tax
- Freeze Spending & Launch Audit of State Budget
- Call Special Session & Make Spending Cuts To Address Current Imbalance
- Get Our Fair Share of Indian Gaming Revenue
- Renegotiate State Employee Union Contracts to Get Better Deal for Taxpayers
- Pass Jobs Package with Real Workers’ Comp Reform
- Submit 04-05 Budget that Closes Deficit & Restructures Inherited Debt
- Streamline Bureaucracy & Send More Money to the Classroom
- Repeal SB-60, the Law that Gives Driver’s Licenses to Undocumented Immigrants
- Pass Open Government Amendment & Ban Fundraising During Budget Process
There ya go! Piece o’ cake. Screw state employees, Native Americans and immigrants, and magically balance the budget while increasing the 40% that already goes to education. I’d give you more details on exactly how this amazing feat will be done in 100 days, except there aren’t any. This is it. A glossy PDF with bullet points.
Good luck California. You thought it was bad before? Well, to mangle one of my favorite Arnie movie lines, “You should not drink and vote.”